RE: [Foucault-L] governmentality and 'law and order'

Hi,

I am new at list, not studying cultural studies, however, I would have some
improvised thoughts to offer related with the issue. when we talk about
moral panic theory, it is essential to recall two things; media structures,
which are distributing the truth discourses of power and "deviance
amplification spiral" which could be the elementary component of any moral
panic phenomena. for the latter, I would say, deviances are no longer the
things that should be discovered, analyzed and confined for the population's
sake today; but they became the things that could be produced in the
discursive practices by the aid of media structures, tested by scientific
authorities, based on not negative, but positive, productive definition of
power. What happens is a great subjectivation process... So any "deviancy"
like "hoons" is no more posing real moral threat to the population as it is
captured in certain conditions and just works for shaping the norms by
differentiating from the original meaning of "cult". This difference marks
the governmental rationality of neo-liberalism and its ultimate end called
"control society". A link with biopower is also crucial here.

well, just a sudden chain of thoughts,

Gökhan