From: michael bibby <shmickeyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Foucault-L] R.E. 'The gaze', and,Galtons political dream of Eugenics
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:54:59 +1000 (EST)

It has often been said that 'man falls apart if he
looks God in the face' i.e., humiliated and humbled,
shamed.

Thus far, I have had a great deal of trouble
tracking down substantial textual references,
scriptural or otherwise, which bear upon this theme
and consequently am seeking the groups help in
tracking down the same. Any (historical) material, no
matter how obscurely related, that scholars who have
taken the theme of the gaze as the thematic basis upon
which to elaborate some historico-theoretical
hypothesis might be able to furnish me with, would be
greatly appreciated (for instance, I know that the
Garter on the British royal crest, for those who can
stand to look at it for long enough to read it without
averting their gaze, reads: 'shame on him who thinks
this evil'- it, like the evil-eye of the Basilisk,
whose breath reduces stones to rubble, in effect,
kills all those who dare look upon it). (Note: we see
a strange reversal of the 'sovereign' power of the
gaze in the experience of King George the 3rd and
Francis Willis...)

Also, I am interested in tracking down anything that
Foucault, or others, might have said about Galton?s
political dream of 'eugenics' in relation to the
concept of bio-power.