Re: [Foucault-L] Sarte and the gaze of the 'other'

Thanks for that Brad, the selection you forwarded onto
me contains many of the elements which I have been
studying in isolation (its a logical concomitant to
Luther, Calvin, Perkins etc.). I also was going to
send this reply privately but I, like you, struck upon
something, in this connection, so richly poingant that
I simply had to publish it (it cannot but interest
those who take interest in Foucaults theme of 'the
gaze').

Shame, for Sarte, is the experience- which always
catches up the subject it compromises by surprise- of
an "internal hemorage": "the appearance of the Other
in the world corresponds... to a fixed sliding of the
whole universe." Sarte, in this connection, deploys
the narrative of the man spying through the keyhole
who suddenly becomes aware of himself as on
object-in-the-world-for-others (an awareness enjoined
with a guilt responce). A kind of copernican
revolution: from a subject-centred universe to an
object-centred universe. He summerises the situation
thusly: "Shame before God; that is, the recognition of
my being-an-object before a subject which can never be
an object."

I wont even attempt to draw out the implicate
connections established here with Foucaults theme of
'recognition in a mirror' as laid out in his chapter
on the birth of the asylum in Madness and
Civilization, they should be obvious enough for those
who are interested in establishing them.