Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault and Education

David

It depends on what you mean by "actual practices of education in schools",
but you might like to check out any of the following for starters:

1. Baker, B. & Heyning, K. Eds. (2004) Dangerous coagulations? The uses of
Foucault and the study of education. New York: Peter Lang.

2. Popkewitz, T. & Brennan, M. Eds. (1998) Foucault's challenge:
Discourse, knowledge and power in education. New York: Teachers College
Press.

3. Popkewitz, T. (1998) Struggling for the soul: The politics of schooling
and the construction of the teacher. New York: Teachers College Press.

4. O'Farrell, C. (1997) Foucault: The legacy (Part 13: Education).
Brisbane: QUT.

Also of interest may be Ian Hunter's book: Rethinking the School, where he
argues that educational practices emerged as a loose amalgamation of
christian pastoral and liberal bureaucratic-administrative practices. I
think the most substantial text out of education with flavours of Foucault
is Bernadette Baker's "In Perpetual Motion", but you may find that not to
be about what you see as 'actual practice'.

Keep looking: there is heaps of what you seek out there in the education
journals.

best wishes for your project
stephen

Dr Stephen Thorpe
Chair, Foucault and Education Special Interest Group
American Educational Research Association

School of Education and Professional Studies
Griffith University-Gold Coast
PMB 50 Gold Coast Mail Centre
Queensland 9726
Australia