Re: [Foucault-L] Accountability Discourse

Edward

I'd take issue with you on the degree to which 'bio-reductive'
representations are 'increasing'. See, for instance the writings of G.
Stanley Hall in the late 19th and early 20th centuries (or see Bernadette
Baker's treatment of him in her "In Perpetual Motion"), where
bio-reductive logics drove his eugenicist and sexist educational agenda.
Certainly the US under the Bush administration has been working towards a
sanctioning of a particular and rather comically narrow idea of research
that draws on an imagining of what is done in the biomedical sciences. But
I don't think you can too easily say that this constitutes a progression
in or towards a certain mode of research - at least not if you are working
through Foucault.

good luck with the study: sounds interesting.
cheers
stephen

Dr Stephen Thorpe
Chair
Foucault and Education Special Interest Group
American Educational Research Association

School of Education and Professional Studies
Griffith University-Gold Coast
PMB 50 Gold Coast Mail Centre
Queensland 9726
Australia
ph: +61-(0)7-5552-8144
fax: +61-(0)7-5552-8599

Edward Comstock <ecomst@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foucault-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
02/09/2005 12:20 AM
Please respond to
Mailing-list <foucault-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject
[Foucault-L] Accountability Discourse

I'm currently doing my dissertation in Education on recent changes in the
construction of the student-object in education research and policy
(increasingly casting the student in bio-reductive, specifically
neurological, terms). I'm wondering if anybody out there can point me to
works done on "accountability" discourse from a Foucauldian perspective.

I realize that accountability discourse is usually construed as a form of
disciplinary power; I'm interested in exploring the new bio-reductive
techniques, and the ways they link to various discourses, marking
extensions and changes to disciplinary force. There seems indeed to be an
increasing link between accountability and this bio-reductivism.

Foucault-L mailing list