Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault and Education

Although many other comments would need to be
subjoined to my previous comments to render them
intelligible (I offered them only as possible points
of discussion which may be taken up for further
elobration), I shouldnt think it improper to offer a
few more historical-theoretical hypothesis, in this
connection, suggested by my historical investigations
into the germain nuclei which the forms of the present
bear within themselves.

Education, instruction, is held at a safe distance in
the perspective lense which views it as essentially
different in nature from indoctrination, propagander.
This discourse can clearly be delineated around the
16th century discussion- involving the writings of
luther and calvin amonst a host of others- on the use
and abuse of sacred images in the space of the church
to awaken the imagination to a love of virtue and
hatred of vice.

Perhaps it is only necessary to juxtapose the sacred
space of the church, with its piers, alter and
retable, with the 'neutral space' of the lecture hall
and schoolroom, with its division of space into
auditorium and stage, which affirms, in the
arrangement of space, the disymmetry between teacher
and learner, its podium and 'projection spaces'
(whcih, like the sacred art of the reformed church,
are called into the service as props in relation to
the text, rational discourse, they support and give
way unto).