Re: [Foucault-L] Speaking for others

Rupert,

this is a very interesting question. I too read years ago that Foucault
taught us this lesson, I have never found Foucault really saying as much
himself. I share the intuition that it is right, and the clearest indication
is certainly the GIP. However, I do find that Foucault is capable of
speaking on behalf of others to some extent. Moreover, I'm not sure who
those who speak on behalf of others realy are. I am certainly dubious about
your example of the psychoanalyst: psychoanalysis is not about telling the
patient the meaning of their experiences, but rather coaxing it out of them.
While there may be more input from the psychoanalyst than the psychoanalyst
believes there is, is their practice not at base supposed to be
non-interventionist in a similar way to Foucault's? And might this be
mitigated in both cases?

Mark