Re: [Foucault-L] Speaking for others

Let's take this point about psychoanalysis. Assuming an analyst did do this,
and I'm sure there are plenty who do, simply tell the patient the meaning of
the dream, well, this is obviously interventionist, you are right. But is it
speaking for someone else? The entire point in psychoanalysis is that the
unconscious is not something that cna be accessed either by the subject or,
indeed, by the analyst in a direct manner. Telling the subject the hidden
meaning of his dream is a didactic operation which presupposes a certain
power relation, and is therefore, as Foucault would say, certainly
dangerous, but it is not speaking for. Speaking for the subject would, I
would have thought, be articulating the conscious experience of the subject
itself, for example when a journalist waxes about the pain of the victims of
a natural disaster, not making a diagnosis about the unconscious based on
the subject's own account of himself. This is by no means non-invasive - I
was wrong if I said that - but it's not shameful either.

Representative democracy is tricky too: are politicians speaking for us, or
do we delegate them to speak for themselves? It seems that the latter is
both what happens and what is supposed to happen. All the stuff about the
war not being in our name was admitted by Blair, I seem to remember, who
claimed it was his function as leader to do things that the people did not
want. Clearly he had to claim that the war was in our interests, but that is
not the same as speaking for us. No, I think journalists and academics are
the ones who speak for others, and of course activists in many cases.

Mark