[Foucault-L] Speaking for others

I don't think Foucault (we can make up our minds) would class psychoanalysis
as non-interventionist. I have always read it as the oppoiste being the
case, all three volumes of the history of sexuality are an attack on
psychoanalysis in its various forms. Whilst Vol 1 most explicitly is,
detailing how as the patient recants a dream to the analyst, the analyst
then reveals their most inner truth to them by deciphering its meanings
according to the power-knowledge discourses of psychoanalysis. In Vol 2.,
the chapter on dreams is a history of the present, trying to point to
completely different ways in which one can interpret a dream (I think this a
rather weak point). I think the conception of unmasking your hidden truth
which you then internalise is key to the functioning of psychoanalysis for
Foucault.

The question then is, does this have anything to do with this politics? Is
the power-knowledge apparatus one that denies voices to those not in the
positions of authority: the psychiatrist, the doctor, (the MP or
politicians?) etc.

I mentioned representative democracy because here we come to the question of
is it possible for the "representative" to represent the interests of the
people. I see Madison's argument clearly within this framework. For
Madison, the hidden truth of the "true interests" of the people can only be
uncovered by Men of "virtue" and "wisdon". This is essential for his
defence of a representative democracy over a direct one. Hence, we go to
constatntly argue over what are the "true interests" of the people, and once
that is established, the voice of the people can be bracketed off. This
would be almost identitical to Marxism, in Foucault's scheme.

_____