Re: [Foucault-L] Teaching activities

In terms of this particular angle that Beth brought up, that of the
classroom setting, the book "Foucault's challenge" and the book "Queer
theory in education" have some useful material. And applying it to
the classroom setting is particularly an interesting thing,
particularly if it leads you to also reflect more critically on your
pedagogy.

In more general sense, however, anything that helps them to connect it
to their lives, before applying it to the more literary realm, seems
reasonable. In one course that I took on Sexuality & Culture, for
example, we talked about confession in popular culture, for example,
and the role of daytime talk shows, web-logs, and the modern
equivalents that seem to have formed recently in our culture. I would
imagine, too, that almost any student (with sufficient guidance) could
relate to the constructed nature of their identity when given an
opportunity to critically reflect on their own position and the
identities which they identify with.

For the latter aspect, I imagine assigning an article that applies
Foucault to the subject matter you are working with would at least
give them a model of how to do that part of it. There are many
different ways in which students could interact with this sort of
material, but I think examples of how to apply a theoretical text to a
practical purpose would definitely make it less of a jump from the
abstract theory to actually applying to a field, particularly one
which Foucault did not specialize in himself and might have himself
had a hard time doing.

-James