Re: [Foucault-L] The Confession of the Flesh

The Confession of the Flesh was the fourth book of the second plan ? the
more historical one devised in the early 80s. The second volume of the
original plan (1976) was to have been on confession, but entitled The Body
and the Flesh. The two (projected) books were to have treated different time
periods.

To return to Michael?s questions. Daniel Defert has said that The Confession
of the Flesh manuscript is in a ?Proust like state?. So there is probably a
publishable book there, but it would need a lot of work from a sympathetic
editor. Yes, I think that Foucault?s prohibition would stand in the way, but
I suspect that the recent softening of the official line may lead to its
publication one day.

I wouldn?t hold your breath. The good news is that the 1980-81 course On the
Government of the Living looks likely to cover similar ground to The
Confession of the Flesh.

I trawled the published materials and material archived in Paris and
published an account of the different plans and the role of confession in

?The Problem of Confession: The Productive Failure of Foucault?s History of
Sexuality?, Journal for Cultural Research, Vol 9 No 1, January 2005, pp.
23-41.

Stuart

_____