Re: [Foucault-L] {SpamScore: ssss} Re: The agent discussion once more

It seems foolish to try to deny that Foucault is a western thinker. Does that mean he is automatically a colonizing thinker or that his work lacks utility outside of its immediate context? It seems that we should take the analogy of the tool more literally. A tool is only a good one if if you can take it different places and use it for different tasks. It must transcend the context of its invention or it is no tool, just like a sign that cannot be detached from its immediate referent is no sign.

The question then is not what was the tool made of (iron, wood, Kant, Nietzsche, the Stoics), but is it useful. The better the tool the more uses to which it can be put. You obviously find Foucault useful.

Arguing that Foucault is a western thinker is obvious and pointless. Arguing that he is therefore necessarily a) a colonizing thinker, and b) therefore of no use to anyone outside the west are two very different things. Even if Foucault does announce himself to be a member of the "boys club" of Enlightenment thinkers, which I think is a pretty tendentious reading, that fact wouldn't necessarily lead to the consequences you are drawing.

Allen

Paul Allen Miller
Carolina Distinguished Professor of Classics and Comparative Literature
Director of Comparative Literature
Editor, Transactions of the American Philological Association
Languages, Literatures and Cultures
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208
803-777-0951
pamiller@xxxxxx
>>> tsuru@xxxxxxxxxx 05/03/07 11:44 AM >>>
Well, as I said, I don't have my resources here with me so I find it plausible that I got my dates wrong.

As for the reading that I give to 'What is Enlightenment?', I'm not willing to completely deny your view but then, neither am I willing to accede so willingly. In my defense, I would like to say that this was the interpretation I presented in my PhD, which was supervised by Nikolas Rose and examined by Anthony Woodiwiss and Paul Gilroy. There also is literature available which also makes similar readings. I don't have my thesis with me so I can't give you the exact titles, but one that crops to mind is David Owen's book whose title as I recall it begins with 'Maturity and Modernity'. I think it was published in 1994. It's a book where he traces the historical lineage of western modern thought from Kant, Nietzsche, Weber to Foucault.

Kaori