Re: [Foucault-L] Lack of examples

The one thing that I never thought Foucault's works lacked we concrete historical examples of his theoretical argument.

Concerning statements I'll give just two examples form History of Madness:

1. Descartes statements when considering the possibility of his being mad on the methodological path of his doubt: 'such people are insane, and I would be thought equally mad if I took anything from them as a model for myself' (HM: 45).

2. The Edict of the King for the establishment of the Hôpital Général in Paris in 1657 (HM: 47).

For Foucault, these two statements form two aspects of the same event, that of the confinement of madness at the start of the classical age: the former as the exclusion of madness from the process of thought; the second as the exclusion of madness from the social horizon. They thus from two concrete historical examples concerning his thesis regarding the sudden confinement of madness (by way of its opposition to Reason) at the start of the classical age.

Regards,
Kevin.

An no! I don't what to get into the whole Foucault-Derrida debate ;-)