[Foucault-L] Other spaces

I'm reading the "Of Other Spaces" article plus some interpretations of
Foucaults heterotopia and while I might be able to figure this out in time
by myself... I thought it would be interesting to hear what you guys think.

I am confused as to whether heterotopia consitutes or facilitates the
construction of other spaces. When he talks about the mirror, it seems that
the mirror is heterotopia which makes possible the "other space" (the site
of simultaneous reflection and contestation).

"The mirror functions as a heterotopia in this respect: it makes this place
that I occupy at the moment when I look at myself in the glass at once
absolutely real, connected with all the space that surrounds it, and
absolutely unreal, since in order to be perceived it has to pass through
this virtual point which is over there."

But then in most other examples it seems that heterotopia IS the actual
other space. (This is also how i see other people using the term,
heterotopia _as_ other space).

Cheers,

-åsa

Folow-ups