Från: foucault-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:foucault-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]För Trent Hamann
Skickat: den 23 november 2007 04:01
Till: Mailing-list
Ämne: Re: [Foucault-L] Other spaces

Hello Åsa,

> "I am confused as to whether heterotopia consitutes or facilitates
> the construction of other spaces."

I think this might be a false choice because in some sense
heterotopias do both of these things.

Heterotopias are spaces that always function in a relationship to the
usual spaces we are familiar with and take for granted. Their
function is a disturbing one that 'others' our everyday sense of
things. The mirror is exemplary insofar as it can only function in
relation to that which it reflects, that is, the very space you're
occupying when you look into it. The effect it produces is something
uncanny, opening up the possibility for critically re-engaging what
was once familiar. It's not unlike what happens in the Preface to
The Order of Things where Foucault considers Borges' 'Chinese
encyclopedia'. In relation to our everyday thought, the Chinese
encyclopedia functions as a heterotopia because it has the power to
render our knowledge uncanny.

I think it's also worth mentioning that the second feature Foucault
describes is that heterotopias can become other to themselves as they
change over time. And the fourth feature is that they can be
associated with temporal breaks and discontinuities (decoupages du
temps), opening up onto heterochronias. So, again, heterotopias are
both 'other' and 'othering'.

I hope that helps.

Trent

Dr. Trent H. Hamann