Re: [Foucault-L] Introduction

Nietzsche doesn't "haunt" Foucault's "pre-genealogical" (?) work: he is a permanent and persistent presence from "History of Madness" to Foucault last researches and writings. Try reading the 'Preface to the 1961 Edition' of HM:

'The following study will be only the first, and probably the easiest, in this long line of enquiry which, beneath the sun of the great Nietzschean quest, would confront the dialectics of history with the immobile structures of the tragic' (HM: xxx).

or again in 'The Discourse of History' from 1967 (in "Foucault Live"):

'no doubt my archaeology owes more to the Nietzschean genealogy than to structuralism properly called (FL: 31).

The relationship between Nietzsche and Foucault is a lot more complex that Foucault simply turning to Nietzsche to flesh out his "genealogy." Foucault speaks somewhere about how reading Nietzsche in the early 1950s allowed him to break free of the dominant modes of thought in France at that time: marxism, psychoanalysis, and phenomenology.

Regards,
Kevin.