Re: [Foucault-L] Archaeology of Knowledge

Today I'll be teaching the _Archaeology of Knowledge_ to my graduate
seminar. Although it is the first time I have ever taught the text, I have
read it a handful of times.

Yesterday, in the student union where I work, I bumped into an acquaintance
of mine, a professor of sociology. When it came up that I was teaching the
_Archaeology_, she replied, "I didn't know anyone assigned that book
anymore."

She had a point, there is probably good reason not to assign the
_Archaeology_. Its concepts--the discursive formation, esp--seem dated. If
you want a text whose concepts you can immediately plug in to your own work,
the _Archaeology_ is not for you.

If, on the other hand, (and this is what I wish I'd told her) you want to
appreciate Foucault's thought, I think AK is essential. Not that you can't
appreciate the stuff of the mid-1970s without it, but there is in fact a
methodological continuity to Foucault's work, and (for me at least) the AK
has deepened my appreciation of what followed it.

One text that helped me appreciate the AK: the Brazilian lectures of 1973
collected as "Truth and Juridical Forms." These lectures seem to be
janus-faced: looking back to AK and forward to the mid-70s.

Finally, I've tried to read A Thousand Plateaus several times, and never
understood it. Perhaps I should try again.

Best,
Dave Tell

--
Dave Tell