Re: [Foucault-L] request for a seminar in political philosophy

Hi Chetan,

Just wanted to second your recommendation of Mark Kelly's book - we're covered in snow in Ohio today, so I have been getting stuck into a copy of the book that I cajoled my library into acquiring for me. Must say, the discussion of power is really quite thorough and stimulating. The argument Kelly presents is timely for me because I have been emailing recently with a scholar of International Political Economy who insists that Foucault's model of power has too many problems: its all encompassing, it reduces human beings to mere vehicles, ignores the role of strategically located individuals ('organic intellectuals'), and makes every single 'free' choice ultimately an inauthentic one.

What I think Kelly recognizes is that these sorts of casual dismissals of Foucault make little or no effort to engage with Foucault on his own terms. By the end of Kelly's second chapter on power, its clear that while Foucault might have done more to help us understand the various levels at which power operates, and the directions it travels, there is a fairly consistent framework to be gleaned. Moreover, I think Kelly does a very important job in explaining the problem that thinking in terms of these sorts of power relations helps us solve: Namely, that without Foucault's focus on the relation between the subject and power, we end up making power relations completely autonomous from human agency (thereby arguably making us all victims of history).

So, the intentionality of power is immanent to our own. But Kelly reminds us that this in no way suggests we are all equals in power's regime. There is a nice quote he gives from Foucault, writing in 1977, that "In so far as power relations are an unequal and relatively stable relation of forces, its clear that this implies an above and a below, a difference in potentials." There is space here for organic intellectuals to some extent, isn't there?

Another great quote: "I don't believe this question of "who exercises power?" can be resolved unless that other question of "how does it happen?" is resolved at the same time" Now this is hardly to say that one's 'free' choice is always really power's choice. Rather, its just to say that there are conditions to thought. Its you doing the thinking, to not always to the extent you might wish.

Great stuff. But I have questions. And I should say upfront that I am no philosopher. Merely a humble, aspiring theorist of International Relations. So there are likely subtleties to Kelly's work I might be missing. But when all is said and done, aren't we really concluding simply that Foucault's theory of power is multi-scaled, multi-leveled, and reversible? If so, why not try to create a more systematic way of doing this like, say, Deleuze and Guattari do. Okay, they do it in an incredibly complex way that requires great patience on the part of their students, but their intention of their materialism seems to boil down to a similar theory of power -

Or we might want to invoke Hardt and Negri, who really seem to be quite compatible with the interpretation of Foucault that Kelly is putting forward, except that they want to inject a retrospective linearity to struggle ... some have issues with that but I'm not sure that they are doing more than joining dots to tell a similar story about power except with a focus on the 'the glass as half full' -

Anyway, all very tentative and admittedly based on an all too superficial reading -

Sincerely,

Nicholas