Re: [Foucault-L] dates of composition

Dear Kevin,

as far as I can see, there are three versions of this text: the one
published in Vol 2; the pre-publication in Rabinow (ed.) in English, and in
DE; and a very early version which morphed into the "Foucault" article by
the so-called 'Maurice Florence'. In a recent publication, I set them out
like this. I hope it's helpful - if you need any other information, just let
me know.

Timothy

the several versions of the Preface to the second volume of *History of
Sexuality* (1984a): For the Prefaces, see Foucault 1984a and 1997, 199-205.
The dictionary entry (1998, 459-63) is based on an early version of this
Preface [see the introductory note in the French edition (1994, 631); the
English translation of the note is incomplete].

References here:

(1984a) *The History of Sexuality, volume II, The Use of Pleasure*. Trans.
Hurley, Robert. Harmondsworth : Penguin Books, 1990.

(1994). *Dits et écrits 1954-1988: IV 1980-1988*. Defert, Daniel and Ewald,
Francois (Eds.). Paris: Gallimard.

(1997) *Essential Works of Foucault, 1945-1984, vol. 1,
Ethics: Subjectivity and Truth. *ed. P. Rabinow*.* New York: The New Press.

(1998) *Essential Works of Foucault, 1945-1984, vol. 2, Aesthetics, Method,
and Epistemology*, ed. J. Faubion. New York: The New Press.