[Foucault-L] Re: Maladie mentale et personnalité

Hi Thomas,

> Qualifier: I can't help you with the French original (not qualified). I think that I can help with how

I am not really qualified to do such translations either. But since the full text of Maladie mentale et personnalité is only available in the original French, and since it is difficult for me to ascertain which parts of the 1954 text were carried over to the 1962 text (which has been translated into English), I don’t really have much choice. And beside which, it is sometimes helpful, as in this instance, to check the English translations (either full texts or in secondary texts) against the French where possible.

Basically, I use Google translate as a starting point to give a very rough (sometimes wildly inaccurate, sometimes bizarre) translation, and then use an online French-English dictionary to check each word and adjust as necessary. This is one of the reasons why ask list members to check on my amateurish translations.

Regards,
Kevin.

p.s. Google translate sometime translates "M. Foucault" as "Mr. Eddy," which quite tickled me...