Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault and Psychoactive Medicine

"I have a general sense from Psychiatric Power and other works that
Foucault argues that medicine, in early psychiatric practice and until
around the mid-twentieth century or so, has mostly only a disciplinary
function."

We dont need to consult Foucault here: we need only take a selection of about a dozen treatise on madness and nervous complaints written between the late 17th to the late 18th century to establish this theme of 'medicine as management'. If you would like I can reproduce some extracts...