Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault and Psychoactive Medicine

Yes, but the illness itself is a social phenomenon--and not a so-called "natural" one separated from its cultural elements. Take your example, "depression": the reason biochemical imbalances are predominant in our contemporary societies is the social experience of watching TV, movies, and other media associated with emotional manipulation --and the associated increase in levels of biochemcial/endocrinal/hormonal activity (dopamine, adenaline, acetylcholine, as well as testosterone, serotonin, etc.). So it is always a social reality--which is historical -- and not some natural reality that can explain illness, etc. And thus it is not always disciplinary power that can explain something like "medecine", although many of the geneological studies of Foucault focused on social-historical settings when disciplinarity was emerging... The best place to start exploring your question in Foucault is the very short "Maladie mentale et psychologie" and " naisance de la clinique."

Fouad Kalouche