Re: [Foucault-L] pastoral power

hi Goran:

thanks for this interesting question. just to make sure i comprehend the two alternatives being posed, let me paraphrase:

1) does modern power and the centralization of the state emerge from pastoral power through a process that is linear and deterministic? (suggested by terms such as "evolve", "historical apriori")

2) does modern power and the centralization of the state emerge from pastoral power through a process that is accidental/parallel to that process of centralization (suggested by tersm such as "parallel", "combined") .

phrased this way, the answer would seem to be obviously 2), but maybe i'm way off in reading your question.

let me know if i'm on the right track.

sb