Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault on Panopticon

I think that most other commentators have provided good and helpful feedback to the question. I am only stating the obvious, and trying to provide some elementary explanations that could be helpful--for pedagogical reasons.

if you were to consider the entirety of Foucault's work, the "panopticon" depending how it is approached could either:

1) stand as a particular example of a dominant discourse related to episteme and practices of 19th century forms of disciplinarity OR

2) it could be pushed to stand as an example of a dispositif, but that would require a broader application.

Various forms of power/governance (sovereignty, disciplinary power, societies of security and societies of control) associated with dispositifs, regimes, and/or assemblages employ different discourses*, practices*, and forms of subjectivization to regulate the conduct of individuals and to shape their subjectivity, including meanings, values, affects, needs, and desires.

Discourses: saying and seeing, or what is said and what is seen; knowledge and linguistic, symbolic, spatial/architectural expressions; ways of expressing and communicating; and ways of organizing knowledge (episteme/disciplines, norms and customs, laws, etc.).

Practices: what is done, implemented, repeated, until it becomes common sense or an internalized imaginary signification; ways of acting/reacting and behaving that could be institutionally regimented and regulated as in disciplinary regimes of training or instilled through norms and customs, including belief systems as under sovereignty; affects, emotions, needs, desires, etc.

Dispositif: typically translated into English as “apparatus” (was also translated as “deployment” in History of Sexuality) but it designates what Foucault defines as follows: “Un ensemble résolument hétérogène, comportant des discours, des institutions, des aménagements architecturaux, des énoncés scientifiques, des propositions philosophiques, morales, philanthropiques, bref: du dit aussi bien que du non-dit […] le dispositif lui-même, c’est le réseau qu’on peut établir entre ces éléments.” (“Le Jeu de Michel Foucault, Ornicar No 10, juillet 1977, DE, vol 3, #206)

I hope that this helps,

Fouad Kalouche