Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault on Panopticon

It was Foucault himself, who created that straw man at the end of Discipline and Punish, esp in part IV, chapter III: The Carceral, points 3, 4 and 5.

But he himself also developed - later on, after being criticized - the counter-point, which is the idea of resistance and of critique. It was announced in the very last section of that chapter as 'le grondement de la bataille'.

So, yes Panopticum is a methaphor, but the picture in Discipline and Punish of modern society as a completely disciplined society is not a methapor and even not a (negative) ideal type, it is a generalizing diagnosis of what's going on in society.

yours
machiel karskens