Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault, correspondence theory vs coherence theory

>From *Fearless Speech*, MF's lectures at Berkeley in 1983, which I'm
surprised no one's brought up yet:

(For the sake of this thread, I'm translating the Greek *parrhesia*, which
is the topic of these lectures, as truth-telling, a translation that MF
himself uses more or less throughout the lectures.)

"Truth-telling is a kind of verbal activity where the speaker has a specific
relation to truth through frankness, a certain relationship to his own life
through danger, a certain type of relation to himself or other people
through criticism, and a specific relation to moral law through freedom and
duty. More precisely, truth-telling is a verbal activity in which a speaker
expresses his personal relationship to truth, and risks his life becuse he
recognizes truth-telling as a duty to improve or help other people (as well
as himself). In truth telling, the speaker uses his freedom and chooses
frankness instead of persuasion, truth instead of falsehood or silence, the
risk of death instead of life and security, criticism instead of flattery,
and moral duty instead of self-interest and moral apathy. That then, quite
generally, is the positive meaning of the word *parrhesia*..." (19-20)

As mentioned above, this doesn't really speak the same language as the
analytics, as truth for Foucault is about so much more than the relation
between statement and "reality" or between series of statements. Truth can
never be dissociated from power and subjectivation, relations of forces. I'm
not sure the analytics have anything to say on this. Comments above on
Foucault's "historical" or genealogical tack I think make this difference
very clear.

cheers,
ricky