Re: [Foucault-L] PRECISION Need reference: Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick

The reason I raised the point is that it seems to me that there is a danger of falling back into the notion that there is a space free from power which is knowledge, freedom, emancipation. The categories, classifications, descriptions etc., of human behaviour set up or described by Sedgwick, Butler, et al, are no less power/knowledge complexes than those established by the "establishment." They too form objects of knowledge and aim to induce forms of behaviour: the may be anti-programmatic programmes, but they are programmes nonetheless.

Regards,
Kevin

p.s. Foucault analysed neither behaviour nor identity: 'It was a matter of analyzing, not behaviors or ideas, nor societies and their "ideologies," but the problematizations through which being offers itself to be, necessarily, thought - and the practices on the basis of which these problematizations are formed' (The Use of Pleasure: 11).

>>> anything
>>> at
> [...]
>>> example) should outweigh all the others. Straight men are interpellated
>>> in
>>> a vast number of ways that are totally different than the way women
>>> are.
>>> Sure, it is possible that one particular straight man who licks pussy
>>> may
>>> have more in common with a particular woman who does. But Sedgwick is
>>> saying that the mere fact of licking pussy means they will necessarily
>>> have
>>> more in common. And this strikes me as utterly absurd.
>>>
>>> So I ask: is her theoretical position simply that the kind of sexual
>>> acts
>>> person likes to perform is categorically more important than any other
>>> fact
>>> about them? Is it more important than how they think about themselves?
>>> How
>>> they themselves feel about those acts? How their culture categorizes
>>> them?
>>>
>>> Fine. Let that be her dogma. But I don't think there's any denying that
>>> this is completely reductive. It's practically a paradigm case of
>>> reductiveness. It not only reduces the whole of human existence to
>>> behavior, but unlike the now discredited behaviorism (which at least
>>> took
>>> into account the whole range of behaviors) it reduces everything even
>>> further: to one type of behavior (chosen by the theorist herself).
>>>
>>> Ryan, your interpretation of what Sedgwick/Butler had in mind sounds
>>> much
>>> more plausible to me. I am sure Sedgwick must not have meant the
>>> statement
>>> to be taken in a literal manner, but more as a provocation. I just
>>> happen
>>> to be one of those people who values clarity and precision of thought
>>> and
>>> writing. But to take up the more interesting angle you have suggested,
>>> "because sexual acts cut across conventional sexual identities, they
>>> reveal
>>> the arbitrariness of those categories, and that erotic desire is not
>>> just
>>> about who you want but also about what you want to do," I would just
>>> like
>>> to add that the way we categorize sexual acts is just as arbitrary as
>>> the
>>> way we categorize sexual identities. So although I accept that it may
>>> be
>>> useful to pose the one against the other and see how they may conflict,
>>> let
>>> us not lose track of the fact that both involve arbitrary categories.
>>> And
>>> it seems to me that a more fruitful avenue would be to move away from
>>> ethological categories to ones that relevant to the people themselves
>>> (i.e.
>>> the people whose identities and acts Sedgwick and those she argue

>>> Nate