[Foucault-L] translation question

I have yet another translation question. This time in comes from the 'Preface' to "Birth of the Clinic."

The original French reads:

'Ce qui compte dans les choses dites par les hommes, ce n'est pas tellement ce qu'ils auraient pensé en deçà ou au-delà d'elles, mais ce qui d'entrée de
jeu les systématise...' (NC: xv)

The published English translation reads:

'What counts in the things said by men is not so much what they may have thought or the extent to which these things represent their thoughts, as
that which systematizes them from the outset...' (BC: xix)

To me, this makes it sound like what is systematised from the outset is thought and not the things said by men.

Would this passage be better translated as

"What counts in the things said by men, it is not so much what they have thought below or beyond the things said, but that which systematizes the
things said from the outset..."

Thus making what is systematised from the outset not thought but what is said.

Regards,
Kevin