From: Thomas Lord [mailto:lord@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 06 August 2012 22:31
To: Mailing-list
Subject: Re: [Foucault-L] translation question

I think you are making a mistake. I don't know French beyond recognizing some words and being able to puzzle out sentences so if my alternative reading is refuted by something like gender agreement of pronouns, please let me know:

You translated this way:

> "What counts in the things said by men, it is not so much what they
> have thought below or beyond the things said, but that which
> systematizes the things said from the outset..."

I think the thing referred to as being systematized is neither the things said or the thoughts, but *men*.

It is the people who are systematized from the start
in various games. What matters in the words of the
people is those games, not any purported thoughts within or behind the words.

In terms of just the basic rhetoric, my reading shows a more parallel structure:

"it is not so much what *they* have thought [...]

meaning "men"

"but that which systematizes *them* [...]

meaning "men".

The passage in the published translation continues:

"thus making *them*[1] thereafter endlessly accessible
to future discourses and open to the task of
transforming *them*[2]"

where my understanding is

[1] = "men"
[2] = "future discourses"

Another parallel, in other words: men being both accessible to and open to the task of transforming future discourses.

I wonder... well, the french uses an idiom:

d'entrée de jeu

which you translate as "from the outset"
but I wonder if it wouldn't be better to translate it more literally:

"from the start of the game"

because I think Foucault, in this passage, might even be alluding to Wittgenstein's "language games".

-t