Re: [Foucault-L] Renaissance chez Foucault

I agree Les Mots et les choses seems like a best choice. There is a section about Cervantes ( Don Quixote is considered by some classificatory systems as a (High?) Renaissance literary work; Foucault writes " a negative of the Renaissance world" and "the first modern work of literature"; so here, I think, we get into the relationship between Renaissance humanism and modernity; of course it is 1605, and although Don Quixote appears as a somewhat disappointed Renaissance character I think that the novel is usually considered Baroque). This reference is in the chapter on Representing. In the chapter on Exchanging which looks into the epistemology of the concept of money (and Renaissance is connected to the expansion of the exchange via money that has value beyond a specific feudal estate; has to do, I think, with development of the cities), and investigates the relationship between actual coins and nominal values in late 1550s In essay "What is an Author?" Foucault never uses the term Renaissance but when writing about the developments of the modern concept of author he touches on some of the issues that arise with increase in publishing secular texts. He does talk about the authorship in medieval times and looks into the assumptions about personal names and function they have in modern times, which we often perceive as beginning with the period of Renaissance. Shakespeare's sonnets are given as an example. In "Stultifera Navis" (first ch. of Histoire de la Folie) there are plenty of references to Renaissance period (if we think of it in the relationship to a specific time frame). However, he does mention the actual term Renaissance when he explains a new relationship to animality in Renaissance artistic representation. Then, Erasmus appears in this chapter as well. I think emergence of moral satire, after Medieval times, and also the emphasis on the autonomous individual who is internally motivated which we see in Shakspeare (analysis of Shakespeare's characters appear several times in Historie de la Folie); are both relevant to the period associated with Renaissance . However, it does seem that Foucault often skips the term, and instead mentions other ideological formations that overlap with Renaissance (humanism, modern, etc). Marija K.