[Foucault-L] question on trans & interpretation

In "La volonté de savoir" Foucault states: 'Par pouvoir, il me semble qu'il
faut comprendre d'abord la multiplicité des rapports de force qui sont
immanents au domaine où ils s'exercent, et sont constitutifs de leur
organisation' (VS: 121-122).

The published English translation reads: 'It seems to me that power must be
understood in the first instance as the multiplicity of force relations
immanent in the sphere in which they operate and which constitute their own
organization (WK: 92).

My more literal translation reads: 'With power, it seems to me that we must
first understand the multiplicity of relations of force that are immanent
in/to the domain in which they are exercised, and [that] are constitutive of
their organisation.'

And my question concerns the "their" in the second part of the statement
(are constitutive of "their" organisation).

Is this "their" referring to the "relations of force," to the "domain" in
which they are exercised, to that "exercise," or to all three?

Stated otherwise, "what is constitutive (relations of force?) and what is
being organised (relations of force? The domain? The exercise?)?"

Regards,
Kevin.

  • Re: [Foucault-L] question on trans & interpretation
    • From: Leon Farhi Neto