Re: Spoon Home Page

>Many

Hi every one.
I see this translation to English but there are problems

>On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, jln wrote:
>
>> An English translation follows:
>>

>> >YOU COULD SEND THIS FRENCH TEXT JUST ONLY TO THE ONE WHO NEEDS IT. WE DO
>> >NOT KNOW FRENCH....
>> >CETO FROM,,,,,
>>
>> "Lacan, le 'liberateur' de la psychanalyse" (from:

>> Here goes the translation from Corriere della sera (Evening
>> Courier from Milan I believe):
>>
>> C: People are in the habit of saying that Lacan was the
>> promoter of a "revolution in psychiatry". Do you think that
>> this designation as a "revolutionary" is accurate and
>> acceptable?
>>
>> F: I believe that Lacan would have rejected the term
>> "revolutionary" as well as the very idea of a "revolution in
>> psychiatry". He wanted simply to be a "psychoanalyst". In
>> his view that presupposed a violent break with all that
>> tended to make psychoanalysis dependent on psychiatry or to
>> make of it a slightly sophistical chapter in psychology. He
>> wanted to remove psychiatry from any proximity, which he
>> considered dangerous, to medicine and medical institutions.
>> He sought in it [psychoanalysis] not a process for
>> normalizing behaviors, but a theory of the subject. That is
>> why, in spite of an appearance of extremely speculative
>> discourse, his thought is not unfamiliar with all those
>> efforts that have been made to place in question the
>> practices of mental medicine.
>>
>> C: If Lacan, as you say, was not a "revolutionary", it is
>> none the less sure that his works have had a very great
>> influence on culture in these last decades. What has
>> changed after Lacan, particularly in the manner of "making"
>> culture?
>>
>> F: What has changed? If I think back to the fifties, to the
>> time when as a student I read the works of Levi-Straus and
>> the first texts of Lacan, it seems to me that the novelty
>> was this: we were discovering that philosophy and the human
>> sciences were living with a very traditional conception of
>> the human subject, and that it did not suffice to say with
>> the one side, that the subject was radically free, nor with
>> the other that it was determined by social conditions. We
>> were discovering that it was necessary to seek to liberate
>> all that was hidden behind the apparently simply use of the
>> pronoun "I". The subject: a thing complex and fragile, of
>> which it is difficult to speak, and without which we cannot
>> speak .
>>
>> C: Lacan had many adversaries. He was accused of hermeticism
>> and "intellectual terrorism". What do you think of these
>> accusations?
>>
>> F; I think that the hermeticism of Lacan results from the
>> fact that he wanted the reading of his texts to be not just
>> a simple "awakening of consciousness" about ideas. He
>> wanted the reader to discover himself, as a subject of
>> desire, by means of this reading. Lacan wanted the
>> obscurity of his "Writings" to be the very complexity of the
>> subject, and the work necessary for understanding to be work
> [...]
Problems.

1) P and others (French)Psychanalyse English (Psychiatry)
Psychoanalisis and Psychiatry are different things. In fact
psychoanalysys is revolutionary in relation to psychiatry an
psychology. But as the french version sustains Lacan didn't want to
be a revolutionary in psychoanalysis. He intends "return to
Freud". To offer a reading of Freud contrary to the reading of Ego psychology.
Questions:
Which is the original one, French or italian version?
Which word is used in the Italian version Psychoanalysis or Psychiatry?
Which word is the original one?

Thanks
Hector Escobar
"Gracias a la vida, que me ha dado tanto"
Hector Escobar Sotomayor
hescobar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx