Re: Turkish prisons and Performance (Was: NYT)

I wonder if Foucault can help us understand what's going on. Are these
tortures instruments of discipline or is this maybe a kind of class
struggle, or do the gards think it's their duty to make life hell for
the prisoners? The question is not if it's right to torture prisoners,
but why it happens. Life would be a lot easier for a guard if he could
what many other Turkish employees do: just sip tea and play backgammon.
Does the panopticon entry the Turkish prison and are the prisoners
afraid to loose the safeness of being in a group? This safeness clearly
doesn't prevetn torture. Or maybe they're just resisting the system no
matter what? I always get very suspicious when people get agitated just
because they speculate something bad will happen. If torture increases
because of private cells, then you have a reason to protest, but torture
has flourished without. Nobody knows what will happen. Tho governement
seems to want a western discipline machine, but in this kind of prison
there cannot be torture, accordign to Foucault. So in the long run
private cells could be seen as a step towards abolishing torture. I've
not seen any intelligent analyses of the situation up to now. The only
thin that's in the media are these kind of torture stories, which are
sad enough, but they're not good arguments. There used to be some
Turkish Foucault readers ion the list. Have gone asleep?

erik