Re: RE: arabs ana hanums

Hey Jivko,

Here is an extract from Rorty's book "Philosophy and Social Hope." pg 61.
--------
What about the Sartrean proposition that 'human beings are what they make
themselves', which I have just put forward as antiessentialist doctrine? Is
that propostion true? Well, it is true in the same way that Peano's axioms
for arithmetic are true. These axioms sum up the implications of the use of
a certain vocabulary, the vocabulary of numbers. But suppose you have no
interest in using that vocabulary. Suppose that you are willing to forgo the
advantages of counting and calculating, and, perhaps, because of a morbid
fear of technology, are willing and eager to speak a language in which no
mention of number 17 occurs. For you, those axioms are not candidates for
truth - they have no relevance to your projects.
So it is for the Sartrean proposition. This proposition sums up a certain
view about what sorts of projects it is best to pursue. If, however, your
own projects are religous or metaphysical, and if you are therefore willing
to forgo the advantages of the kinds of egalitarian politics and Romantic
art whose implications Sarte sums up, Sarte's proposition is not even a
candidate for truth. You may call it false if you like, but the falsity is
not like the falsity of a candidate which has been tested and found wanting.
It is rather a matter of obvious *irrelevance* - obvious inability to be of
use for your purposes.
---------

Can you see the simularity between the situation Rorty outlines and the
clashing of opinions (yours vs others) regarding the use of Foucault when
looking at ethnic conflicts as described?

Jivko have you read Benjamin's "Imagined Communities"?

Perhaps you can enlighten me with regards to the ethics of a particular
ethnic conflict, please?

And let me reiterate that I do not disagree with your politics (well some
parts of what I have read into your posts anyway).

Thanks mate,
Glen.