Re: RE: arabs ana hanums

Glen tells us that Sartre is claimed by Rorty to have said 'human beings are
what they make themselves'; Clifford then informs us he said 'Men make
themselves out of what other men have made of them....'.

Now I don't want to discount that Rorty may have misquoted, but on my
limited knowledge of Sartre the first sounds like the Sartre of Being and
Nothingness and Existentialism is a Humanism; the second we know is from
Search for a Method (part of the Critique of Dialectical Reason). There's a
fairly major shift in Sartre's work between these two projects, and that may
explain the similar, though clearly fundamentally different, claims.

As Lefebvre said in his 1946 L'existentialisme: 'it is possible that M.
Sartre does not understand the difference between Heidegger and Marx'. Maybe
by the Critiques he'd realised the difference between _his_ misunderstanding
of Heidegger and his (mis?) understanding of Marx...

Just a suggestion - it may well be completely wrong!

Stuart