Re: Genetic Fallacy

------=_NextPart_000_0116_01C10EE0.FE548660

Ali:

I do not think that I have any serious problem with what you say =
assuming your generalizations can be subjected to some careful =
qualifications. What I object to is positing "the west" as some sort of =
quasi-metaphysical construct that provides pseudo-explanations for =
almost any imaginable range of events.

I agree that nationalism (like nation states) is an 18th and 19th =
Century European invention. From that little follows. Nationalism is =
possible largely because a sense of collective identity ("imagined =
communities" in Anderson's term) can be combined with eschatological =
hopes about "progress" or "destiny."

That hardly means that "nations" are either modern or necessarily =
European. Nor does it mean that nationalism is only available to =
European peoples. I doubt that it is in any sense "universal." There are =
various peoples whose entire way of life would have to be transformed =
before they could imagine themselves in nationalistic terms (Maybe fewer =
than there once were with the invasion of rain forests and other =
"remote" territories.)=20

Knowing where nationalism came from tells us almost nothing about its =
configurations and how it will be adapted in cultures that are receptive =
to it. For instance, Michael Ignatieff distinguishes between "civic =
nationalism" and "ethnic nationalism." In civic nationalism the bonds of =
a political community are defined by a common creed and set of political =
institutions. In ethnic nationalism, the community is thought to belong =
to people marked by ethnic bonds. Nothing about the origins of =
nationalism predicts which of these (or other) variations will prevail.

I am leery of thinking of "cultures" or "civilizations" as granite =
blocks. There identities are far more fluid than neat packages like "the =
west" allow. Foucault's insistence on attending to "the microphysics of =
power" is useful for avoiding these block conceptions. To know how =
Japanese nationalism, or Kurdish nationalism differ from American =
nationalism, you need to know something about Japanese, Kurds and =
Americans (as well as how richly diverse all of these groups are). Going =
on about "the west" and its essential qualities invites laziness.

Cheers,

Larry
----- Original Message -----=20