RE: Foucault and rational choice

David Ownen's Maturity and modernity : Nietzsche, Weber, Foucault, and the
ambivalence of reason Routledge, 1994, is still worth looking at for Weber
Foucault links.

regards
ali

Richard,

I have been a sort of a 'hangaround' participant on this list, mostly
because I cannot relate to most of the labels Foucault's writings are
usually labelled under. The only reason I have not unsubscribed yet has been
that there sometimes pops up some topics in closer relation to my own
interests, which also lie rather close to rational choice theory, or to put
better, rational action theory. Your post was one of those.

I think the main key to unlock the relation of rational choice and Foucault
could be his relation to Max Weber. If I remember correctly, there should be
some passages somewhere where Foucault claims that his sociological program
is very close to that of Weber. It may be that I remember this right or
wrong, but there certainly are similar topics in the work of both authors
that are concerned here, too: power, social systems, action in social
constraints etc... Foucault propably is much more closer to Weber than to
usual rational choice thinking. However, most of work done in rational
choice theory in social sciences rests on Weber's concept of rational social
action (sometimes this relation is explicit, most of times not) but
concentrates only one side of his concept of rationality.

This is a weakness in rational choice theory that most of the author's in
the field of RCT are not too willing to deal with and propably also leads to
problems you have faced. However, even economist doing work in rational
choice theory have no real excuses to forget Weber - Weber held various
academic chair's in economics and was propably considered better as an
economist than a sociologist in his days.

So, rather than jump straight from Foucault to rational choice, I would
suggest to build a bridge between these two main interests here through the
work of Weber. Or if that does not work, take one step further, through the
relation between Kant, Weber and Foucault.

Jani Erola