Re: Foucault and rational choice

I would agree with Rizvi. F. would say that there is choice, but that
the moment of choosing is only the beginning. For the individual to
live and function somewhat successfully within his choices is a constant
battle of which the individual must always be conscious. To recognize
such is, as Barthes would say, joissance, pleasure and play within the
text. Nietzsche and Sartre would also agree with everyday life as a
work of art. This is where all these thinkers, for me anyway, make the
most sense, usefulness, and just plain old fun. It's time for a
post-modern Homeric odyssey, but perhaps Joyce has already been there.

Incidentally, I've been meaning to write a review of _The Truman Show_
that develops these ideas. I think this film, curiously, has
interesting depths that broach discussion among Ellison's _Invisible
Man_, W.E.B. Du Bois's _The Souls of Black Folk_, and Foucault's work on
madness, medical perception, and punishment.

Edward