Re: the soul and subjectivation

I'm afraid my response will raise more questions than it answers, but I
thought I would throw in my two cents.

Foucault is using the term "soul" to denote a disembodied source of behavior
(he expressly divides it from the christian conception of the soul, just
thought I'd point that out because it threw me off for a second). Thus a
subject being forced to understand him/herself in terms of a soul seems
central to psychology (libido, psyche, cognotive framework, etc) though its
role seems less clear in such discourses as penality because of a less
individualized approach (though individualizing forces are certainly at work
in penality, they are not nearly so active as in psychology). I certainly
think that the pedagogical structures within the penal system are aimed at
training the soul, but it does not seem that a prisoner is encouraged to view
him/herself in terms of a soul. The confessional aspects of prisons does
seem to promote a soul-based understanding of the self. The guided self
examination in these processes seems to necessarily imply some non-corporeal
aspect of the subject responsible for behavior which must be made to realize
the erring of its ways.

Another interesting question is how is the relationship between the soul, the
body, and the Subject constructed. It seems to be more complex than the
simple cartesian equation: body + soul = you.

--
It is said that the good cause