Re: Citation help needed

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Tony Slagle wrote:

> "There are more ideas on earth than intellectuals imagine. And these ideas
> are more actice, stronger, more resistant, more passionate than
> 'politicians' think. We have to be there at the birth of ideas, the
> bursting outward of their force: not in books expressing them, but in
> events manifesting this force, in struggles carried on around ideas, for or
> against them."

It seems that he wrote this in the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera,
and that it is quoted by Eribon on his _Michel Foucault_ (p. 282 in the
English translation).

See

http://post-exile.net/exisle/mirrors_final.doc

--a thesis which looks quite interesting in its own right.

Aside: funny how you could have found this yourself by poking around the
web for five or ten minutes (as I just did), but then we (particularly I)
would have missed out on this serendipitous little odyssey--on which I
learned, among other things, that some believe Eco's book _Foucault's
Pendulum_ really to be about our Foucault. Then again, maybe my time
really would've been better spent reading Being & Time, which is what I
had meant to be doing now. ;)

Matthew