Re: Foucault and the analytical philosophy

The full reference for this version of 'What is an author?' is as follows:
Michel Foucault, 'What is an author?', in _Language, Counter-Memory,
Practice: Selected Essays and Interviews_, ed. Donald F. Bouchard, Cornell
University Press, Ithaca, 1977, pp. 113-138.

I have never read the Rabinow version, presuming them to be the same. It
gives the original as appearing in _Bulletin de la Societe francaise de
Philosophie_, 63, No. 3, (1969), pp. 73-104. Apparently that version
includes introductory remarks by Jean Wahl and response by Foucault,
together with the debate subsequent to the lecture. Perhaps some sections
are interpolations from the responses by Foucault, included by Bouchard in
this version?

Other essays in this collection are:

A Preface to Transgression
Language to Infinity
The Father's 'No'
Fantasia of the Library
Nietsche, Genealogy, History
Theatrum Philosophicum
History of Systems of Thought
Intellectuals and Power
Revolutionary Action: 'Until Now'

A nice collection of translations that is, I believe, still in print. On
influences on Foucault's essay on the author, I always assumed that Pierre
Macherey's _Pour une théorie de la production littéraire_ (1966 --
translated as _A Theory of Literary Production_ and published by RKP in
1978) would have been the main precursor of Foucault's position. Certainly
Macherey's analysis anticipates and complements that of Foucault, presented
only three years later, and would seem as much of an 'influence' (if I may
use that term for a moment) as analytical philosophy on that particular
text, although in the Bouchard version (p. 121) Foucault does refer
explicitly to John R. Searle's _Speech Acts_ (January 1969, Foucault's
lecture being given in February 1969).

Dr. David McInerney
review editor
Borderlands e-journal