FW: SURVEILLANCE & SOCIETY | New Issue Out Now!

May be of interest to some of you...

-----Original Message-----
From: D F J Wood [mailto:D.F.J.Wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 18 July 2003 20:19
Subject: SURVEILLANCE & SOCIETY | New Issue Out Now!

Surveillance & Society | News July 2003

the international journal of surveillance studies
http://www.surveillance-and-society.org

1. New Issue Out Now
2. Resource Base Online
3. Calls for Papers for future issues
4. Submitting to Surveillance & Society
5. Surveillance & Society's first major conference

1. New Issue Out Now!

Our new issue, 1(3), 'Foucault and Panopticism Revisited' is out now!
Featuring thought-provoking and inspiring new pieces by top authors
including: Stuart Elden; Hille Koskella; Michalis Lianos; Steve Mann,
Jason Nolan & Barry Wellman; art, film & much more. We think it's our
best issue yet.

http://www.surveillance-and-society.org/journalv1i3.htm

2. Surveillance & Society Resource Base.

The long-awaited Surveillance & Society Resource Base for Surveillance
Studies is now operational. This is the start of a long-term project to
provide a central resource for surveillance studies, and we'll need you
co-operation.

http://www.surveillance-and-society.org/resources.htm

3. Calls for Papers

Issue 1(4) - Mobilities

There is still time to get your submissions in for our third issue on
mobilities and surveillance.

Mobility has become a key theme across academic disciplines, and
enabling, controlling and preventing mobility is one of the most
important aspects of surveillance in the 21st Century. Surveillance &
Society is calling for submissions on all aspects of surveillance and
mobilities, for example: mobile communications technologies and global
positioning systems; migration, borders and border control; transport;
automated urban infrastructures; virtual mobility; and so on.

Deadline for submissions: August 31st 2003, publication date: end
November 2003.

NEW CALL!

The first issue of our second volume will be an open issue with no
specific theme (apart from surveillance, of course). We want your
papers!

Deadline for submissions: 30th November 30th 2003, Publication date:
early 2004.

4. Submitting to Surveillance & Society

Surveillance & Society will always consider pieces on any aspect of
surveillance for all issues, regardless of the main theme of the issue.

We welcome both conventional academic papers and artistic submissions
(photographs, video, poetry, code-poetry, fiction, multi-media etc.),
political and technical reviews, opinion pieces and more.

We encourage innovative approaches and can discuss any proposed
submission.

For more details, see: http://www.surveillance-and-society/call.htm

5. 1st Surveillance & Society conference.

CCTV and Social control: the politics and practice of videosurveillance
- European and Global perspectives

A of a two day conference to be held at the Centre For Criminological
Research, University of Sheffield

January 8th - 9th 2004

See the Conference website for more details:
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/ccr/publicity/conference/index.html

Dr David Wood

Managing Editor
Surveillance & Society