Re: Foucault/Althusser (was wikipedia article on Foucault)

Hi Craig,

Warren Montag has done a lot of research into the philosophical
relationship between Althusser and Foucault, I'm not sure how much he
has done on the personal relationship. In terms of published material
there is a paper on the ISAs essay and Discipline and Punish in a
special issue of Yale French Studies on Althusser (No. 88, 1995 - list
members might be interested to know that Macherey's essay on Foucault's
_Raymond Roussel_ is translated there) and there is the paper on the
Italian Althusser site (run by Turchetto's group) that I provided the
link for a few days ago - if you missed it,

http://www.mercatiesplosivi.com/althusser/materiali.html
(Warren Montag, "Foucault and the Problematic of Origins": Althusser's
Reading of Folie et déraison)

Warren was talking a couple of years ago about writing a book on
Althusser along similar lines to Eribon's _Michel foucault et ses
contemporains_ (1994). Hopefully that project is underway; the essay on
_Folie et déraison_ might be part of that project (it certainly reads
that way). Certainly anyone interested in Althusser should read Warren's
books on Althusser and Spinoza.

Certainly a topic of considerable interest to me.

best wishes
David