Re: micro-translations

I guess what is at stake is whether or not Foucault was using the
conventional phrase in French to describe the politics of the period: while
'equilibrium' is one acceptable translation of the French, the normal phrase
used when discussing the post-Westphalian geopolitical situation is
'balance', as in the phrase 'balance of power'. 'Equilibrium' sounds like an
odd word to apply what seems to me to be a generally-accepted, time-honored
feature of European political history.
Kind of wish I hadn't said anything - I just have a bee in my bonet about
translators making French thinkers sound esoteric when their French is quite
plain.

>From: "Kevin Turner" <k.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: micro-translations
>Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 10:48:50 +0100
>
>i am the first to admit that my french is poor to say the least. and
>so here i merely followed whomever it was who translated the course
>summery of 'security, territory, population' in "ethics:" 69.
>
>having said that, i also think that equilibrium and/or stability to
>pretty much the same job - and as far as i can tell from the
>lecture, foucault does not use the phrase "balance of power."

>On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 15:29:08 +1000, Mark Kelly
><mgekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>well then,
>>in l'ordre du discours we have "un positivisme heureux"
(p.72). As
>>in German and Greek, the French have one word where we now have
>>two: 'happy' for the affective state and 'lucky' for the relative
>>condition. Since here Foucault is manifestly talking about
>>"l'humeur généalogique", 'felicitous' is a mistranslation
- it is