Re: [Foucault-L] DE 234 article?

At 10:15 PM +1100 23/1/07, Glen Fuller wrote:

I thank you for your reply. It is very useful indeed. He says somewhere else
that he is not a philosopher (page 249 of the Ethics edited collection, I
think. bad notes, sorry!!). Very odd. I wonder if this is Foucault being
bashful under the burden of anticipated critique?

At the time Foucault made these remarks - there was a lively public discussion going on about the definition and role of the intellectual. In addition the philosopher was somebody who was often defined as being interested in eternal ideas not in history or historically limited ideas.

What is remarkable is the use of 'scene' in the title of the piece. It is
only superficial of course and entirely coincidental, but half my
dissertation is organised around thinking about an event-based conception of
the "scene" within a particular strand of popular culture. More in the
concrescent sense of an event than in the discontinuous (structuralist)
sense. I use it as a hinge to mediate between the historical events (in
Foucault's sense of eventalization) and the contemporary present day sense
of the scene (within which I insinuated myself through fieldwork).

I wouldn't read too much into the use of 'scene' in the title here - it is probably a title made up by a journalist. If something is available in English it is listed in Richard Lynch's excellent bibliography on my site - if not, it hasn't been translated yet! I will be uploading a new version of the bibliography shortly to the site.
--
Clare
Clare O'Farrell

  • [Foucault-L] Foucault Studies - new issue