[Foucault-L] Le gouvernement de soi et des autres

I now have a copy of the most recently published Foucault lecture course, Le gouvernement de soi et des autres (Paris: Seuil/Gallimard, 2008).

It's the course from the 1982-1983 academic year, lectures given 5th January-9th March 1983, two lectures on a single day once a week. Much of the course looks familiar - the course begins with some theoretical reflections and then discusses Kant's 'What is Enlightenment?', and then moves to an extensive discussion of parrhesia.

The lectures transcribed into the English Fearless Speech book were given later that year at Berkeley, so there is a lot of overlap. The discussion of Euripides, in particular, appears in both 'books'.

Nonetheless, this is a much more extensive treatment (382pp). From a quick look there is a lot more on Kant that goes beyond the single text; the discussion of Plato's Gorgias is quite detailed, plus material on the letters; there is quite a bit on Greek historians. Some material is close to the second volume of the History of Sexuality.

This is a course for which Foucault did not write his own course summary (which are usually in Resume des cours, and translated in the first volume of 'The Essential Works'). The theme was continued in the 1983-84 academic year. There is no mention in the book of the 'tome 1' that it was originally listed as on websites.

I may write something more extensive on this when I've had a chance to look at it in more detail: but I hope these initial observations are of some interest.

Stuart