Re: [Foucault-L] Foucault and History of Economics

Hello, David, Chetan,

Thank you for your comments and hints! It is true that Smith is seen as a
transitional figure (Foucault says he still works with an analysis of
wealth), but I think it is possible to coherently interpret Smith's study of
human beings in his Theory of Moral Sentiments as dealing with the figure of
Man: people are determined empirically by the passions they experience, but,
at the same time, the nature of passions is open to the transcendental
questioning of the “impartial spectator” (or so I try to argue…). My problem
with Ricardo is that he never directly questions human nature – it seems to
me it is an empirically given for him: given a historical and institutional
framework, people will act according to their self-interest, period. In this
sense, Ricardo paves the way for a sort of anthropology in economics, as
Foucault argues, but it doesn’t seem to me that the figure of Man is in
there, since he never questions the empirical determinations that men
undergo. He seems to discuss it only in his letters to Malthus, where the
latter questions his assumptions about self-interest in humans. J. S. Mill,
on the other hand, presents a more nuanced work dealing specifically with
the nature of man -- how it is empirically and transcendentally constituted.

Best,

Emmanoel