Re: [Foucault-L] Sartre and the gaze of the 'other'

Hi Sudip,

On the subject, I've been reading a book by Caroline Williams, _Contemporary French Philosophy: Modernity and the Persistence of the Subject_. It might be a good text for you or your students (depending on their level); it is not a text for those who do not have some substantial background in philosophy by any means, but it is an introduction to French philosophy for philosophers and provides a thought-provoking analysis of the problem of the subject within it. I seem to have an earlier (2001) edition, there is a new (2005) edition out with more pages, but I don't know if that contains any additional material, it might just be a formating change - I'll have to ask the author. To give some idea of the content, the chapter headings in my copy are as follows:

1. Inheriting Problems and Paradoxes: Subjectivity and Modern Philosophy. (sections on Descartes, Spinoza, and Hegel)
2. Marxism and Subjectivity: From Lukacs to Althusser.
3. Psychoanalysis, Subjectivity and the _Vita Lingua_.
4. Derrida, Subjectivity and the Politics of _Differance_. (includes discussion of Lacan & Althusser as well as Derrida)
5. The Discursive Construction of the Subject. (Foucault, archaeologies and genealogies of the subject)

The discussions of Descartes, Spinoza and Hegel in the first chapter explore them in terms of French readings, e.g. Kojeve and Hyppolite on Hegel. There is no real discussion of Sartre, who is mentioned only in a couple of places, but certainly it is good on French philosophy outside of existentialism and phenomenology. I found the discussion of the trhee forms of knowledge in Spinoza and how these relate to Hegel's reading of Spinoza very worthwhile, and I'm just starting chapter 2. She has a forthcoming book in the works on Spinoza and Althusser, due out in 2007: _Spinoza and Political Critique: Thinking the Political in the Wake of Althusser_ (University of Wales Press, Political Philosophy Now series)

Have fun with the course
David

http://www.continuumbooks.com/(2mzwk345kzdufw55bit15o55)/ BookDetail.aspx?BookID=12433

Contemporary French Philosophy: Modernity and the Persistence of the Subject

Caroline Williams

March 1, 2005

ISBN: 0826479227
paperback
272 Pages
6 x 9 | 234 x 156
£12.99

SERIES: Continuum Collection
SUBJECT: Philosophy
IMPRINT: Continuum

Description

"Caroline Williams marks what is distinctive about 20th Century French philosophy's interrogation of the subject and demonstrates its historical continuity in a lucid, balanced and utterly convincing way."
David Wood, Vanderbilt University

French philosophy and cultural theory continue to hold a prestigious and influential position in European thought. One of the central themes of contemporary French philosophy is its concern with the theoretical and political status of the subject, a question which has been broached by structuralists and poststructuralists through an analysis of the construction of the subject in and by language, discourse, power and ideology.

Contemporary French Philosophy outlines the construction of the subject in modern philosophy, focusing in particular on the seminal work of Althusser, Lacan, Derrida and Foucault. The book interrogates some of the most influential perspectives on the question of the subject to contest those postmodern voices which announce its disappearance or death. It argues instead that the question of the subject persists, even in those perspectives which seek to abandon it altogether.

Providing a broad introduction to the field and an original analysis of some of the most influential theorists of the 20th century, the book will be of great interest to political and literary theorists, cultural historians, as well as to philosophers.