Re: [Foucault-L] Education and Foucault

Thanks for your original question, robert, and for your words of support,
Abraham.

As an educator, I like to combine Gadamer and Foucault. In teaching
students or working with colleagues or adminisrators, whenever I find I'm
in a situation where there is true, open interest from all parties in the
perspectives and ideas and questions, the other people want to share, I
try to do hermeneutic listening, i.e., listening for the truth in what
another person says, especially when I am surprised by it.

However, whenever I can sense someone is trying to dominate knowledge to
gain power, or using one of the techniques that Foucault describes to
monitor, classify, and control the thoughts, words and/or actions of those
around them, then I will try to use what Foucault's analysis has helped me
to see to "blast away at the situation," to name what I see and try to
diffuse it so that we can talk about other ways of relating to one
another.

I think foucault's analysis can explain some of the discomfort many of us
felt in school as young students. At least, he does for me.

Cheers,
Gail