Re: [Foucault-L] Surveiller Et Punir translation

The form of the imperative and the form of the bare infinitive (without
'to') are identical in English - and identical to most present tense forms
are the same, with the exception of third person singular. So it's a
question of interpretation. Given the infinitives in the original French, I
think infinitives are the most parsimonious solution in the English. The
imperative doesn't quite make sense here, does it? He's not enjoining us to
discipline and punish...
Tim

--
Professor Tim McNamara
Discipline Chair, Linguistics and Applied Linguistics
School of Languages and Linguistics
The University of Melbourne
Victoria 3010
Australia